• Owning and Using the SR700

Forum Forums Coffee Discussions Owning and Using the SR700

This topic contains 61 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
    • Author

Ken
      Participant

Well, based on my very limited experience, yes, I think you’re wrong. I’ve never tried a batch > 110g, but from about 80-110, it didn’t seem to matter much, the temp at high fan & low heat quickly maxes out at 429F (usually in < 1.5 minutes). Perhaps with larger batches it wouldn’t get that high, but I would definitely not expect low to mid 300s. (As you probably know, these temps are not comparable to what others measure using a drop-in guage.)

There are quite a few posts on the FB page now, so it isn’t easy to find them. But there are a few posts that give specifics for what some people have encountered with their SR700s. For example:
      2.5 mins low heat:
      1.0 min: 414F
      1.5 min: 425F
      <1.6 min: 429F (peak)
      1.0 mins med heat:
      0.3 min: 461F
      Then between 462-4 rest of time.
      2.5 mins high heat:
      FC heard at < 0.2 min, 477F
      Rolling FC at about < 0.5 min, 494F.
      FC seemed to end about 2.3 mins in (don’t know max temp).
      1.0 mins low heat (high fan):
      Temp dropped quickly down to 428-9F.
      3.0 mins no heat, high fan.

Ken
      Participant

Well, the forum software edited out my formatting; sorry about that. I wish there were a preview mode (not to mention, edit capability). Let’s try it again:
      2.5 mins low heat:
      1.0 min: 414F
      1.5 min: 425F
      <1.6 min: 429F (peak)
      1.0 mins med heat:
      0.3 min: 461F
      Then between 462-4 rest of time.
      2.5 mins high heat:
      FC heard at < 0.2 min, 477F
      Rolling FC at about < 0.5 min, 494F.
      FC seemed to end about 2.3 mins in (don’t know max temp).
      1.0 mins low heat (high fan):
      Temp dropped quickly down to 428-9F.
      3.0 mins no heat, high fan.

Ken
      Participant

By the way, I should have mentioned, that wasn’t a particularly good roast. It was too underdone for that bean (somewhere between City and City+).

David CygnusX1
      Participant

Yeah I have no idea at what the running lo temp should be but I’m making an assumption here, but I shouldn’t be ruining 3+ oz of beans with the fan maxed out and temp set at the lowest temp setting possible.

I’ll call Sam Monday, Tim gave me his number.

Jeff
      Participant

David – I’m hoping one of the guys from the manufacturer will join in here to comment on whether your temps are consistent with what the machine should be doing.
      There are so many variables in roasting with the SR700 that it’s hard to cover them all.
      The quantity of beans (I use 4.3 oz. for my typical roast), the type of beans (I had some Mexican peaberries recently that were very hard to roast, and totally different from anything else I’ve come across), your local voltage, the ambient temps, etc. etc. all make a difference.
      You might try using less beans. It is counterintuitive, but the more beans you use, the higher your temps will be. Remember, this is an Air Roaster. The lighter the load, the more the beans move, and that reduces the temp. (See the Sweetmarias.com instructions for the SR500/700 that makes this point, there are some other good tips there.)
      I’m surprised at the timing of your roasts, which seem about right although your temps start out way higher than mine. I know I tried higher speeds for a while (trying to extend the roast) and found that the flavor of the coffee suffered, so maybe your high fan speeds are part of the problem. As I recall part of the problem I had with those roasts was that they tasted burnt.
      Fresh Roast has always seemed to recommend a fan speed setting of 5, and that’s what I use to get the best results once the beans are dried out and light enough to move properly unless I need to increase the temp for some oddball variant (which isn’t that unusual – time of day often makes a difference, I often get lower temps when I roast at 5:30 PM – I think due to the loads on our electrical system.)
      I’m still not sure your machine is working right, but try using 3 scoops (about 3+ oz.) instead of 4 and see if that helps. If you’re still getting the high temps, try 2 scoops – you’ll be surprised what a difference it makes.
      Afraid I never heard of your coffee supplier, they may be great.
      But I wonder if your beans aren’t part of the problem. Some beans are just more delicate, and burn easily. And sometimes the weight, size, or density of the beans changes everything.
      I’ve gotten my best results for a dark French Roast from Mexican Flat beans which seem to be tough enough to withstand a dark roast and when done right come out smelling and tasting amazing.

Jeff
      Participant

Sorry David – our posts overlapped – I see you are already using 3+ oz. Try 2.

David CygnusX1
      Participant

Hey Jeff, thanks for the info.

So I watched a SR 500 Demo on Youtube and noticed pretty much immediately that I don’t have near the Bean movement the 500 model does on youtube.

To my understanding, one of the improvements made to the 700 was a better fan. The complaints I read about the 500 tended to revolve around fan power fade over time.

I guess now starts the process of sending my machine off to have it evaluated and or replaced.

What a crushing defeat this is.

David CygnusX1
      Participant

Jeff, regarding the Beans. I tried some Guatemalan samples initially and they got brutalized. I went to the Colombian because I had five pounds from last years harvest and were far less expensive. I pretty much ruined 3.5 pounds of that during this process.

I knew something was shady about the transaction. If I had known Home Roasting Supplies actually sold the 700, I would have came here first. I am raging right now…

I’m very familiar with Sweet Marias as well as Coffee Shrub. Both are class operations and do an amazing service for the Home Roasting Community. Our Hobby/Community wouldn’t be half of what it is without them.

TennDave
      Participant

Sam from Homeroastsupplies gave me this info on FB for those having fan speed issues on the SR700. Of course, this would void the warranty so decide if you want to do this or not.
      There is a screw adjustment under the faceplate just to the left of the temp readout- with a small flathead screwdriver an adjustment can be made to increase the fanspeed- don’t turn too much- actually, you will feel it when it can’t be turned anymore- but if you go beyond that, you will ruin the control board. Anyway, I hope that this helps.

Now, how do you upload pictures? You can’t here?
      Gee-s well…if you want them, email me- badger36- at- comcast.net (of course delete spaces and change out the at with @).

Jeff
      Participant

David, Sounds like at least you’ve gotten to the root of your problem. Hope you can get a replacement quick.
      From what you’ve said about the company you purchased from, you might want to see if HRS will take care of your warranty directly. You will find their service is excellent.
      Sorry about all the advice you didn’t need about beans – I didn’t realize you had previous experience as a home roaster!
      The bright side is: when you get an SR700 that works properly you are going to love it!

Jeff
      Participant

BTW – TennDave,
      I’m glad things are going so well on your FB page!
      I would love to take a look.
      The only reason I haven’t is I’m afraid of the time I could burn up – so I’ve never opened an account!
      I already spend way more time on this site and Sweet Marias than I should (when I can) and I’m afraid if I ever got started on Face Book I would fall into a black hole of computer networking from which I might never return!

David CygnusX1
      Participant

I agree Jeff! Me choosing the SR series is because I love fluid bed tech and I think this machine will be a great transition to a Sonofresco and or Ashe Roaster. I love the “clean” aspect to Fluid Bed roasting and although the trade offs with traditional Drum Roasters are minimal but stark, I think the Drum Roasters are both overrated and obscenely over priced.

As far as your Bean info goes, I appreciated that man. You can never know enough and to be really good at anything, one must ALWAYS be a student first. Your input is and was quite helpful.

TennDave, I wouldn’t shy away from adjusting if I was over my warranty period and frankly, I shouldn’t need to adjust the fan speed. I’ve only hd it a week! It is either defective or wasn’t properly adjusted. The box says it was tested so I don’t know, I’ll leave that analyzes to a pro!

David CygnusX1
      Participant

Just a quick heads up.. I spoke to Sam on Monday and he offered to put a new Machine in the Mail, same day. No questions asked. I should have my new Machine w/Beans and be back to Roasting by the weekend. That’s Customer Service folks.

TennDave
      Participant

Yay!! For Sam- truly outstanding!!
      Great service here at homeroastingsupplies!!
      -David

Btw, the FB group has grown to 69 members!
      If you aren’t already a member, come and join us!!!

David CygnusX1
      Participant

I got my replacement Roaster Today and the difference is absolute. Thanks again Sam and Tim for being super cool as well as standing behind your product. You guys deserve much success for your efforts.

PS: Thanks for the extra Beans and chaff brush :)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.